How to Expertly Record Vocals is a comprehensive video course that teaches you everything you need to know in order to advance your skills of vocal recording many years forward. The course is a combination of 7 years of filming experiments here at Creative Sound Lab, and dissecting why techniques work (Or don't work!). Each lesson covers several topics at once, and they are neither beginner or advanced. In fact, there's something for everybody. All styles of music and all levels of competency. I teach you techniques so you can get the best possible sound out of inexpensive mics, or vocalists that are struggling to sing well. I really hope you join me for this one! - Ryan
All Videos are Downloadable in 4K!
- Stream and/or download the videos! Both are available immediately.
- All lessons are filmed with a cinema quality camera in 4k
- Looks great full screen
- See every detail on my screen and in my studio
- Download size: About 6 GB
- Total Course Length: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
1 – Using Different Types of Mics to Record Vocals: Advantages and Disadvantages (11:48)
- What type of mics work best for untreated rooms
- Which mics in your collection you might have overlooked for vocals.
- When to use different types of mics (Ribbon, Large Diaphragm, Small Diaphragm, Dynamic)
- Have a vocalist that moves around? Which kind of mic and why.
2 – Three Simple Questions to Quickly Choose the Best Mic (24:42)
- I give three questions that you can ask yourself to help narrow down the choices of vocal mics.
- Why some mics work better for vocals than others
- Based on the type of music you are recording, learn why you would want a bright mic vs a mid heavy mic.
- Learn how your recording space affects the mic selection, and how to avoid giving yourself problems later when you mix.
3 – Room Issues, Tricks, and Mixing Issues (28:52)
- The best type of dead vocal booth and how to make it.
- Learn when it is better to have outside noises in the studio, rather than a sound proof room
- How a high-pass filter can reduce background noises in all frequencies
- How to use the mic's polar pattern to reduce background noise and increase the direct sound
- Learn which mics to use when dealing with bleed from other musicians in the same room
4 – Mic Set Up, Minimizing Electrical Noise, and Using Boosters (13:59)
- Why small noises on recording day always get worse during mixing
- A simple mic pre hack that will reduce a ton electrical noise.
- How to best set the mic pre for recording soft vocalists
- The perfect use for mic boosters (Cloudlifter, Launcher, Dynamite)
- Active vs passive mics, and how to avoid mic damage to tube mics
- A critical factor you must do if you plan to use heavy compression on a vocalist
5 – Mic Position – A Natural EQ and Judging Vocal Sounds within a Mix (14:37)
- Mic position is the ultimate skill set for capturing great vocal tracks
- Learn how to shape the sound of the mic
- Learn how to get the best sound from cheap mics
- Understand mic distance, height and angle, and how it affects the tone of the mic
- Learn how each mic position sounds in the context of a mix, and how a simple position change makes all the difference.
6 – Preamp Gain Settings for Adding Color (13:04)
- I teach you how to hear the compression and overdrive qualities of a mic preamp.
- Advanced techniques for preserving the dynamics with texture, even if heavy compression is used.
- I show you how I use a mic preamp as an outboard distortion effect.
7 – A Fast and Easy Way to Make a Weak Vocalist Sound Great (14:57)
- I give quick solutions to solving vocal pitch and performance issues
- My preferred method of strengthening the sound of a vocalist
- How to work extremely fast during recording and mixing, AND solve vocal performance issues at the same time.
- Stop wasting time with tuning vocals.
8 – Using Outboard While Recording, and How to Set Up Vocalist Headphone Mixes (13:13)
- How to use basic studio tools to split signals, route effects, and improve a vocalist's headphone mix.
- How to record the dry vocal sound with no effects, while recording a compressed version at the same time.
- How to inspire the vocalist to sing better by providing a "Mixed" type sound in their ears.
Bonus - Step-by-step email support directly from me (Ryan)
- Something sound a little off and you can't figure out why?
- Just email me a short audio file, and I'll give you a custom step-by-step process on how to improve.
- You get immediate access to all the videos. Total Course Length: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- You never expire or go out of date. You have this course for life.
- Download the videos and stream online via Vimeo
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- I want you to be completely happy with the course and coaching. If you are not happy for any reason, just email me within the first 30 days from your purchase and I'll refund 100% of the purchase price for this course.
- No risk. The only thing you risk is not getting the course, and allowing these issues to continue to plague your recordings.
Price shown is in USD (United States Dollars)