Do you have any of these issues?
- Compression is confusing and I don't understand how to use it.
- My mixes are sounding small. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
- I am sick of technical videos on compression...just show me some practical tips I can use now.
- I don't know how much compression I should use.
- What ratios should I use? What attack times or release times should I use?
- Why does my vocal never sound right? Is it a compressor setting?
- How do I use compression over a whole drum mix?
- When I use compression on a stereo mix, it sounds terrible!
It is deceptively challenging to use compression. You have to know what you are trying to do with the compressor, and what to listen for. It's different for every track in your mix. This is why it's important to develop your ear, and an intuition with compression
The first sign of a bad mix is poor compression choices.
Compressors are great tools, but they can make your mix sound amateur in a hurry. When I did my "Mix Challenge" in 2015, the largest problem that I heard was bad compression choices. That's why teaching you should not be about settings or specific numbers for you to follow. - It's not a technical thing. It's an ear thing. It's about showing you how to listen, what to listen for, and how to adjust the settings to get the best results you can. The course will help you gain an intuition for using compressors, without using presets or certain settings, on any instrument or vocal. And the DAW you choose is up to you. Any DAW, any plug ins will work. Remember it's all about knowing what to listen for and knowing what you want the compressor to do.
Why is compression so challenging?
- Compression is hard to hear. We all are used to hearing it on records, but we have no idea what type of compression settings gives it "That" sound.
- Bad advice online will only adds to the confusion, because each source will be different. You have to know what your tracks need to sound good.
- There are many ways to apply compression, and they all change with each instrument. - Each compression ratio sounds and behaves differently, each instrument or vocal will need different attack and release settings, and EQ can change how the compressor works.
- Compression is easy to over do. It will destroy a sound and steal all off your track's excitement.
What you will learn in this course:
- A simple and intuitive approach for using any DAW, any compressor, and for any source (Instrument or vocal).
- I give you key concepts and apply them to many sources, each with a different applications of that same initial concept.
- How to set compression ratio to get a larger or bigger sound, if your mixes sound "small".
- I show you how higher ratios are key to getting certain sounds, while lower ratios are important for other sound shaping and control.
- How to use compression in the three places in the studio that compression occurs naturally
- We talk about criticle listening and how to evaluate how much a raw sound is already compressed.
- I use plugins in this entire course.
- I want all the concepts to be demonstrated on super accessible gear. A great teacher should be able to make it sound fantastic without using expensive vintage outboard right?
What is in the course?
- 5 core lessons, averaging 40 minutes each
- Total video time is 4 hours and 1 minute
- All the tracks are downloadable - Mix along and learn fast!
- Bonus: Full mixthrough of a new song + Track Download
- Direct email support from me with custom step-by-step instructions
- Immediate access to all the course materials
- Video downloads of all videos are available
- No expiration date - You always have access.
- Lesson 1: Learning to Hear Compression (25:27)
- We talk about places that compression occurs naturally in the studio, and two main functions of using compression. We also hear an entire mix with and without compression to see the effect of compression and to help train our ears.
- Lesson 2: Guitars - Acoustic, Electric, Bass (48:15)
- Building on the foundation of Lesson 1, we apply the same concepts (Using compression plugins) to instruments such as acoustic guitar, bass, and electric guitar.
- Lesson 3: Vocals (39:09)
- We talk about compressing vocal using a single compressor that is aggressively set, and how to use multiple compressors in a more transparent setting. We also show how EQ affects compressors, and how to treat for sibilance such as "S" and "Ch" sounds.
- Lesson 4: Drums (41:57)
- As one of the more difficult things to do well, we talk about how compression can help shape the attack and sustain of drums. Each element of a drum kit requires different approaches to compression.
- Lesson 5: Drum Bus and Stereo Bus Compression (31:57)
- Once we have the individual elements of a mix processed with compression plugins, we move on to compressing multiple elements at once.
- Bonus Review Video: Full Mix Through of "String" (54:40)
- As a bonus video, I mix a new song in a single session. We review concepts from the course as I work, and you get to see the techniques performed on new material. All tracks are downloadable so you can mix the song in your own DAW.
Bonus Unit - Engineering Foundations
- How to Develop Your Ears (8:09)
- Why Do People Want to Record with YOU? (4:29)
- It Is Never About the Gear (8:28)
- Understand What Happens to Pitches at High Volume (5:26)
- Being Unique in Your Field (4:23)
- Are Headphones Good to Mix With? (4:23)
- How to Know When Your Ears are Being Tricked (4:14)
- The Middle-Frequency Range is King (7:01)
- Using Reference Mixes (7:12)
- Low Volume = Good Recordings (3:52)
- Cool Trick for Knowing if the Vocals are Too Loud (4:11)
Bonus - Step-by-step email support directly from me (Ryan)
- Something sound a little off and you can't figure out why?
- Just email me a short audio file, and I'll give you a custom step-by-step process on how to improve.
- You get immediate access to all the videos. Total video time is 4 Hours, 1 Minute. (04:01:00)
- You never expire or go out of date. You have this course for life.
- Download the core lessons and bonus mix through.
- Download all the tracks and practice mixing yourself. Heck, use them in your resume!
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- I want you to be completely happy with the course and coaching. If you are not happy for any reason, just email me within the first 30 days from your purchase and I'll refund 100% of the purchase price for this course.
- No risk. The only thing you risk is not getting the course, and allowing unsure compression technique to hold you back the sound of your mixes.
Price shown below is in USD (United States Dollars).